Assignment 1 (Activity Assignment)
Birth of the Unix Time-Sharing System
Please answer the following questions in a word processor and upload it here.
Accepted formats are TXT (any text editor), ODT (Open/LibreOffice), DOC (Microsoft Word up to Office 2007) and PDF format. No DOCX (Microsoft Office since 2007) please! Name your file as in assignment1_perera_bandula.odt, i.e. no space or other special characters in the file name, all simple letters.
Please note that this assignment is graded manually, therefore might take a couple of days. You will receive a message once the grading is done.
- Q1: Why did users have to share computers in the early days?
- Q2: If the users "record" their problems in to magnetic tape and insert the tape in to a computer, or punch their problems in to punching cards and load a stacks of them in to a card reader, why the computer had to solve those problems one-by-one?
- Q3: In the second video at 1 min mark the speaker gives a definition to the term Operating System (OS). What is it?
- Q4: The speaker continues to argue why an OS is essential. Explain his arguments in your own words.
- Q5: Name some examples of Unix operating systems and some non-Unix operating systems.